Skip to main content

Residents of DuBois apartment displaced by accidental fire

February 10, 2014

DuBOIS – Approximately 35 occupants of an apartment building located at 136 East Park Ave. in DuBois were displaced Saturday afternoon following a fire.
The State Police Fire Marshal investigated the blaze, which occurred at 12 p.m. on Feb. 8. The East Park Avenue location is a two-story wood structure with 10 units. Units consist of single one room units and family units. Numerous tenants resided at the complex, which is owned by Scott Blose of DuBois.
According to police, a new roof was built over the previous roof prior to the new owner purchasing the building. Between these roofs there was an open area for fire progression causing difficulties in suppression.
The fire originated in Unit 134, which was in the middle of the complex. According to reports, the fire broke out when a candle lit on an end table ignited a blanket when the female occupant accidentally placed the blanket nearby before going to the kitchen. The occupant attempted to extinguish the flames and sustained second degree burns to her left hand. A firefighter also sustained injuries during suppression efforts when he fell on the ice, striking his face off the roadway. Both victims of injuries were taken to DuBois Regional Medical Center for treatment and released.
Approximately 35 occupants were displaced due to the fire and the Red Cross arrived on scene to assist with relocation. Numerous residents of the area also dropped off items for the families.

BRADFORD – The St. Marys Minor League all-star softball team saw their magical season come to an...
Laura Goestch (Whites Creek, Tenn.) was the first-day match winner in smallbore standard rifle at...
BRADFORD — Area high school football fans got their last chance to see 2015 graduates on the field...

 

Sports

Classified Ads